Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Apple Corn

Ok, so first off, I have to let it be known that Eli is sleeping in his "big boy bed" for the first time tonight. Thanks to the video monitor, I can tell you that he is sleeping peacefully (so far), with his hands stretched out far above his head.

And now for the official "slice."

This morning Eli was eating an apple, just crunching off hearty bites while holding the apple in a death grip with not one but two hands. He loves it that I don't always have to slice his apple up for him anymore...and I like the fact that he's eating the skin, since it's good for him, UNLESS you read health articles that are now warning parents against allowing kids of any age to eat unpeeled fruits, since they may still contain a large amount of fertilizers, etc. But that's ANOTHER story!

So this evening, as Eli's playing a counting game on the laptop, he starts mumbling something about "apple corn." So I asked him what he was talking about, and he asked me, "What's apple corn?"

Huh???

"Um, show me what you mean, Eli."
"Mommy, sometimes this monkey (on the computer game) throws an apple corn instead of an apple. What's apple corn?"

Yep. He was talking about the CORE of an apple. That stupid computer monkey was trying to trick him into counting the core as a whole apple, which threw off his total apple count (as they dropped from the trees and into his basket). Monkeys are nothing but trouble, I tell ya. At least he was only throwing apple cores, and not poo.

So any-hoo, one more misconception has been cleared up in the life of my (almost) 3 and a 1/2 year old sweetie. It's nice that I can still teach him something...every once in a while.

3 comments:

  1. He is a sweetie--and I am with you on the monkeys. Never can tell with monkeys. :)
    Tell E. I said I'm in awe of the big boy bed and hope he sleeps well now that he can really stretch out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple corn... very cute!

    Gotta love video monitors. That's my saving grace! Speaking of which, it's almost time to switch ours on for the night.

    SAS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're writing these moments down. They are priceless. And, I like the way you led us to that very moment!

    ReplyDelete