Friday, March 11, 2011

Gateway Word


So as I pull the car into the garage today, the door to the house opens and Eli's serious face appears.

"Mommy! I had a sort of 'crimpy' day today. They switch the tv shows! They had (now he starts pointing and counting on his fingers like he's ready to name his key speaking points) two 'Max and Ruby' shows and 2 'Dora the Explorer' shows. Isn't that strange?!"

He is obviously outraged by Nick Jr.'s ridiculous change in scheduled programming...but I can't help but ask him to repeat his first sentence.

"What kind of day did you have today? What did you say?"

"Oh," he responds with a sheepish grin, "That kind when things are a little bad. You know." And with that, Eli runs back into the house.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Yeah, I think he meant CRAPPY. And my fear is that: A. He learned that word from me (or my mom, who aptly taught ME the word when I was younger), and B. Crappy is only a "gateway word" to those other words that are known so well only by their initial letters.

All I can say right now is UH-OH!

2 comments:

  1. This gave me such a chuckle! Made me remember when my kids thought the f word was the slang for passing gas...and we let them think it was! I remember the days of words like crappy and stupid being the worst words imaginable in my kids' minds. Now, with a high schooler and a middle schooler, that's all changed!
    Your narrative here is strong--you do such a nice job of speaking naturally to the reader while weaving E's dialog in and out of the story. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Maybe he will come up with his own version of all of the bad words. Then you won't have to worry.

    ReplyDelete