Monday, March 14, 2011

Keep Going? No!


During our one day spent at the Grand Canyon last week, while riding on a shuttle bus, Eli started counting aloud. He got up to 20 (as usual)...but he didn't stop. He just went on up to 29. But then he said twenty-ten!

So today when we were in the car together, Eli started counting again. This time, however, he made it all the way up to 30. :) He was so excited, he needed a high five clear in the back seat. Then we tried to get him to continue on, up to 40...but he said, "No. I can't." Period. End of story.

Eli loves to learn new things...as long as the learning is on his terms. If we try to push him toward reading/listening to a book, he will undoubtedly choose to walk away and play elsewhere.

For instance, today when I came home from work, before counting to thirty in the car, he brought me his library book, Pete the Cat, climbed up on the couch beside me and started reciting the words on the first page. I eased myself out of my seat and grabbed the video camera before he realized what I was doing. He sat and "read" most of the book to me, with me filling in the gaps when necessary.

He never would have read that book to me if I'd asked him to, though. Such an oppositional little boy. I wonder where he gets it?! ;)

(It's from me...I can't blame his dad for this one.)

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I can so relate with where my kids were about a year or so ago. That whole, "I can't" is so about them on their terms. Those little nuggets are just great! And, I love that book! Here is a You Tube link where the author is reading the story to some kids, if you like!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUubMSfIs-U

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you finally got him on tape--I know you've been trying for a long time!
    And tell him that he has to count past 40 if he wants to count how old I am....

    ReplyDelete